including Great Britain Construction Training Info Package


Buy Now!

Downunder Tradies will assist you in acquiring the necessary documents and accreditations required for you to work in the UK Construction Industry before you leave Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. We will facilitate the required steps, taking the stress and inconvenience out of these timely processes, avoiding you weeks of potential complications on arrival. Our packs are designed to prepare you quickly and efficiently for commencing work soon after you arrive, as well as providing a smooth transition to help you settle in to life in the UK.

The following is a comprehensive list of how we can help you get started on your great adventure.


1. ConstructionSkills Health, Safety & Environment Test

In order to work on any UK construction site, plumbers must demonstrate health and safety awareness. This is achieved through passing the ConstructionSkills Health, Safety & Environment Test - a 45 minute, computer based, Plumbing or Gas Test, consisting of 50 multiple choice questions. You will be provided with a Study Book to prepare you for the Test before you arrive. On your arrival in the UK we will schedule a test date convenient for you. The ConstructionSkills Health, Safety & Environment Test is held at the Great Britain Construction Training Centre in Isleworth, London.

2. Trade Recognition

Trade Qualifications obtained outside of the UK must be recognised as an overseas qualification - and its comparable level in the UK identified. Based on the Trade Recognition granted, the appropriate Trade qualification card will be applied for by Downunder Tradies, on your behalf.

3. Engineering Services SKILLcard Registration

Engineering Services SKILLcard is the industry recognised scheme for the registration of personnel working in the building services engineering sector throughout the UK. Engineering Services SKILLcard registers the skills and competence of people working in the mechanical services sector. Engineering Services issue you with a Card (licence) to show the level of grading you have achieved within your occupation, taking into account all the qualifications you have gained. An application form will need to be completed and your qualifications submitted (ConstructionSkills Health & Safety Test pass result/Statement of Comparability) along with employer references, to Engineering Services to be assessed. You will then be issued with a Blue SKILLcard stating your qualifications. We will act as your sponsor, organise and submit your SKILLcard Application


1. Registration with Downunder Tradies

A one on one interview is available upon your arrival in the UK to register your details with Downunder Tradies and finalise any requirements to get you on site.

2. Self-Employment, Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) and Unique Tax Reference (UTR)

To work in the UK Construction Industry you will need to register as self-employed as you will be working as a subcontractor. You will also need to register within the CIS. This allows you to work in the Industry at the standard tax rate of 20%. If you do not register you will be taxed at the higher rate of 30%. Once you have registered within the CIS you will receive a UTR. This number is used to verify you in the Construction Industry.

You must have a NI Number to register within the CIS.

We will assist and advise you on the necessary steps that must be taken to address all of these requirements.

3. Tools

A range of tools are required when working on construction sites in the UK. We have teamed up with a local wholesaler, that are able to offer you tools at an affordable price. It is advisable to bring your hand tools and cordless drill over with you and purchase any additional tools once you are here.


Are you arriving in the UK and need help getting started?

1. A UK informative guide

2. Assistance with opening a UK bank account

3. National Insurance (NI) Number Assistance

4. And much much more!


1. Oyster Card

The public transport system in London is very well connected. We will provide you with an Oyster Card with £10 credit so you can start using it as soon as you arrive. The Oyster Card can be used on Buses, Tube (Underground), Trams, DLR, and some National Rail services in London.

An Oyster Card uses credit when you need it and doesn't expire, and ensures you are always charged the cheapest fare.

2. TNT Guide to the UK & Ireland

This guide contains relevant and up to date information for your move to the UK – tips for moving overseas, latest visa information, travel information and more.


UK Start Up Pack - Plumbers - Buy Now

All Downunder Tradies UK Start Up Packs are designed to assist tradespeople in beginning work in the UK as soon as possible – either with Downunder Tradies or another company.

Purchasing this or any UK Start Up Pack does not guarantee you a job placement with Downunder Tradies.
All of our job placements are determined after completing our registration process and a one on one appointment with a Downunder Tradies team member where qualifications, past experience and individual suitability for the job are taken into consideration.

Full Terms and Conditions for UK Start Up Packs can be found here